Four Scrumptious Recipes For Cod Liver Oil
Cod Liver Oil. Yes, the very same stuff sitting in the back of your grandparent’s cupboard. Have you tried it? The smell is horrendous, so I don’t blame you if you haven’t, but the argument stands that the health benefits far outweigh the unpleasant smelliness.
REASONS TO TRY COD LIVER OIL
1. It strengthens teeth and some say can prevent tooth decay and even repair it by remineralizing your pearly whites. In his book, Cure Tooth Decay: Remineralize and Repair Cavities Naturally with Good Food, Ramiel Nagel notes that “one teaspoonful of good cod liver oil has the vitamin A equivalent of 5 1/2 quarts of milk, or 1 pound of butter, or 9 eggs.” Basically, it packs a punch. According to Nagel and Dr. Price (who wrote the original literature on the subject),the oils contain fat-soluble vitamins (Vitamin A, D and Omega-3 fatty acids). Further research shows that Butter Oil is a synergist for cod liver oil, meaning you should consume them together for the best effect.
2. Vitamin D. Back in the 1800’s this was used to prevent children from getting rickets in sun-deprived (and thus Vitamin D deprived) areas. This is due to bone tissue not properly mineralizing, which leads to soft bones and skeletal deformities. (See how this can relate to your teeth?) Nowadays, you hear it everywhere that most people aren’t getting enough Vitamin D. Usually this boils down to the fact that most of us aren’t spending enough time outdoors, since Vitamin D is produced by the body upon sun exposure. Without sufficient Vitamin D, the health risks include: seasonal depression, increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment in older adults, cancer and severe asthma in children (Web MD).
3. A natural way to treat a whole grocery list full of ailments: depression, diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lupus, osteoarthritis, manage asthma, ease menstrual pain, reduce stroke, prevent upper respiratory tract infections
Convinced yet that you need to add this to your daily regimen?
SO, HOW DO YOU CONSUME IT?
Here are 4 tasty recipes to help you mask the taste.
CHOCOLATE PROTEIN OMEGA SHAKE from Spark Recipes
- 1 cup Choc. Rice Milk
- 1/2 Frozen Banana
- 4 Frozen Strawberries
- 1 tbsp of Almond Nut Butter
- 1 teaspoon of Orange Cod Liver Oil
- *Blend then add
- 1 scoop of Choc. Protein Powder
SALAD DRESSING from DIY Health
- Add 3-4 Tbsp of Cod Liver Oil to 250 ml of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add 3 cloves of freshly grated garlic, ground pepper, crushed rosemary and salt
- Mix continuously until all ingredients combine
- Use on your favorite green salad
MINT CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE from DIY Health
1 tsp. Cod Liver Oil
- 10-15 mint leaves
- 1-2 Tbsp. Yogurt or Milk
- 1-2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 5 Ice Cubes
APPLY TOPICALLY TO THE SKIN The Radiant Life Blog
This one has got to be my favorite way of taking Cod Liver Oil! After all, the skin is our largest organ. Simply rub the daily does of cod liver oil onto your child’s bum and the nutrients are absorbed without a fuss!
Note: I am not a doctor. All information from our site should be discussed with your child’s doctor before beginning any course of treatment. This information is intended to provide conversation and ideas to parents looking for natural relief for their child.